Asbestos – What are my Obligations for a Commercial Property?
Owning or being responsible for commercial premises demands certain asbestos related obligations.
If you are the landlord, tenant or management company, you are usually responsible for looking after any asbestos. The only exception is when your contract or lease says otherwise. But you should still find out who is responsible.
Asbestos – What are my Obligations?
- You must always check who is responsible for asbestos. You can check the lease or contract, or ask the management agent or building owner.
- You should find out exactly where any asbestos is present within the building. The key here is to have a professional asbestos survey carried out. We can help you by providing a competitive and comprehensive asbestos survey.
- Suspected asbestos should be analysed at a UKAS accredited laboratory. A record of what has been found should be created and kept as part of your asbestos management plan. We can help you with this.
- You should carry out a health & safety risk assessment to make sure that the building is safe for anyone who may come or go.
- Sharing Information. Any asbestos safety information should be shared with visitors such as contractors or maintenance personnel. This will keep them safe from any potential contact with asbestos.
- Asbestos should be kept in good order and ideally it should be sealed so fibres are not released.
The Legal Obligation
Unfortunately people do fall short and incidents occur every year across the UK. People unnecessarily become exposed to asbestos.
We can help you do things right. We offer a full survey and testing service to make sure your building is as safe as possible and more importantly, legal.
Failure to deal with asbestos properly can lead to a fine of up to £20,000 and imprisonment for up to 12 months according to the Gov.uk website.
Northern Ireland Asbestos Surveys
We are an independent team of asbestos surveyors based in Northern Ireland. We can survey your commercial property and provide a comprehensive report on the findings. All of our asbestos testing is carried out at a Northern Ireland UKAS accredited laboratory.
Call us today for a competitive quote for asbestos surveys and a professional plain English report. Call Philip on 07702 332 333.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.