Cancer Caused by Deadly Asbestos Exposure
A fit and keen walker received his diagnosis of mesothelioma after suddenly developing symptoms in 2019. He became breathless and found it harder to breathe as normal. Mr Graham Grist from Gilwern was diagnosed with Mesothelioma just one month later.
Mr Grist started his apprenticeship when he was just 16 years old and became an instrument technician. He was not given any PPE.
He had responsibilities to make and replace thermocouples which were asbestos based. During the second world war, Mr Grist joined to serve in the Royal Air Force. After the war he then returned to the steelmakers where he remained for an amazing 56 years!
A coroner recorded the death as Mesothelioma linked to asbestos exposure.
You can read more about the story from Wales Online here. This sad story is typical of other issues across the country. We see articles like this cropping up continuously. It is a shame we simply didn’t know back then about the dangers of asbestos.
What Can You Do?
Unfortunately for many, there isn’t a lot you can do if you have been exposed previously. However now that we have the knowledge and experience we can stop unnecessary exposure.
Want to know how you can manage any asbestos in your building? See our previous article about asbestos management plans here.
We are Northern Ireland based asbestos surveyors. We are here for you! Offices, schools, hospitals and many other premises still have asbestos in them. You do not need to be exposed.
Call Philip to book your asbestos survey today. We will help you locate asbestos and compile an asbestos management register. This will keep anyone using the building safe by creating safety procedures for all building users.
Call us on 07702 332 333 to discuss.