Family Calls for More Asbestos Awareness after Asbestos Exposure Deaths in Northern Ireland
A bereaved family from County Down have called for more awareness of the risks of asbestos after loosing their father to asbestos related disease.
Asbestos was widely used in buildings across the country right up until it was banned in 1999. Asbestos is dangerous to your health especially if you breathe in the fibres. These needle like fibres are microscopic and can get lodged in the lungs causing asbestos related disease including mesothelioma which is almost always fatal.
According to the BBC article there were more than 800 asbestos related deaths in Northern Ireland between 2009 and 2020.
The County Down family told the BBC they are looking for answers after they lost their father from cancer linked to asbestos exposure.
Asbestos deaths here increased by around 60% in 2020 compared to the year 2019.
Annual asbestos related deaths have been increasing over the past 50 years as a result of previous asbestos exposure.
There is around 50 people diagnosed with mesothelioma in Northern Ireland each year. 76 is the median diagnosis age.
It can take many years for the effects of asbestos exposure to become apparent. Many people are shocked in later years to discover that they have developed life threatening illnesses. Asbestos exposure is totally avoidable and no one should be exposed to asbestos needlessly.
Asbestos Surveys & Keeping Safe From Asbestos
We carry out professional asbestos surveys across Northern Ireland. We have offices in Belfast and Coleraine so we can get to you quickly.
Our asbestos survey is carried out by a qualified asbestos surveyor and checks the building thoroughly. The report will be written in plain English and contains details of asbestos found including it’s condition. You can use this information to create an asbestos register so that no one will be put at risk in the building.
Our team of professional asbestos surveyors can help you get an asbestos register in place so that asbestos related issues are avoided. Contact Us. We are always happy to help.